In the last byte, we looked at the moderation effect in the Job Characteristic model. In today's byte, we look at some uses of this theory in redesigning jobs.
Job Characteristic theory added a more comprehensive perspective in the design of jobs. The JDS developed was useful in job redesign efforts through one of the fived implementation concepts:
- Combining tasks into larger jobs
- Forming natural work teams to increase task identity and task significance
- Establishing relationships with customers
- Loading jobs vertically with more responsibility
- Opening feedback channels for the job incumbent
Job Characteristics Inventory (JCI) is an alternative to the Job Characteristics Model but is not as comprehensive. JCI doesnt include coritical psychological states, personal and work outcomes, or employee needs.